The X Collective (XCO), a wholly owned subsidiary of SMRT Commercial, will use eco-friendly out-of-home (OOH) advertising papers and ink for its advertising assets – offering brand owners an obvious choice in XCO for a more environmentally friendly way to advertise in OOH media spaces from 1 July 2017.
XCO’s Media business, which is Singapore’s No. 1 local OOH media company, will use eco-friendly materials that will continue to offer brands brilliant colour and quality. The materials are specifically formulated to meet the demanding requirements of OOH advertising and are very resistant to weathering. Made entirely of renewable and recyclable pulp, the materials are bleached without the use of chlorine and are Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified. Advertising formats such as large format posters (4-sheets, 6-sheets and 12-sheets) escalator crown ads and large format lightboxes will be printed with these materials.
“At XCO, we are continually moving towards more sustainable production practices as part of our long-standing commitment to being environmentally responsible. We are committed to reducing both our and our retailer and advertisers’ carbon footprints, while ensuring the highest advertising quality for our brands and partners,” said Dawn Low, Managing Director, XCO.
The XCO is working with local SME large-format printer Film Screen on this initiative. Lee Chee Yong, Managing Director of Film Screen, said, “Film Screen is excited to partner XCO in fostering environmental stewardship. Together with XCO, we are happy to make this dream a reality with good considerations on cost, quality or timeline for the advertiser. Our expertise enables us to offer eco-friendly prints without compromising print quality and precision colours. Now brand owners can extend their environmental responsibility while advertising on XCO’s excellent platforms.”
“The move to using sustainable print materials is another milestone for the XCO Media team. Our green commitment started in December 2014 when we were the first to embark on e-contracts for brands and advertisers. We will also be working with Film Screen to send the posters to a Materials Recovery Facility for recycling after its debut in our XCO OOH network” said Jeslyn Tan, Senior General Manager, XCO Media.
As a subsidiary of SMRT Commercial, XCO is committed to SMRT Corporation’s environmental sustainability efforts which include energy reduction, water conservation, waste management and the use of sustainable resources. In addition to eco-friendly paper, XCO is also using solvent-free printing inks, which are UL Ecologo certified and contain no hazardous air pollutants.
Please refer to the Annex for details of the materials XCO is using.
XCO will use eco-friendly materials that are specifically formulated to meet the demanding requirements of out-of-home media advertising. They are resistance to weathering and have mechanical strength which ensures that the advertisements last throughout the entire display period.
The papers used are:
· Made of 100% ECF (Elementary Chlorine-Free) pulp from suppliers who are certified to international standards (FSC, PEFC, CSI, ISO 14001).
· Produced according to ISO 14001 standards.
· Produced in a Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified control system.
· Contain no synthetic fibres, are formaldehyde-free and 100% recyclable unprinted.
· Papers may be recycled and categorized as Mixed Office Paper Grade, a medium quality paper recycling grade, if it has been printed with latex or UV curable ink.
A holistic environmentally sustainable print product considers both the substrate and the inks printed on it. XCO will use both HP Latex and UV inks which are solvent-free printing inks.
HP Latex Inks
· UL ECOLOGO Certified.
· GREENGUARD Children & Schools Certified.
· Use AgBB Criteria for the evaluation of Volatile Organic Chemical (VOC) emissions.
· Have no hazard warning labels.
· Are non-combustible and non-flammable.
· Contain no hazardous air pollutants (HAPs).
· Are Nickel-free.
· Requires no special ventilation during printing.
HP UV Inks
· Are UL GREENGUARD GOLD Certification to UL 2818.
· Meet AgBB criteria for health-related evaluation of VOC emissions.
· REACH-compliant – REACH is the European Union regulation concerning the Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals.
· RoHS-compliant – HP HDR Scitex inks are free of heavy metals as deemed by RoHS thresholds. RoHS is short for the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive 2002/95/EC. The six RoHS substances (lead, chromium VI, cadmium, mercury polybrominated biphenyls [PBB] and polybrominated biphenyl ethers [PBDE]) are not directly added as ingredients to HP inks and were not found to exceed the level of 0.00001% for the metals chromium, cadmium, lead and mercury.